The Portland (Maine) Symphony Orchestra will present the 13th biennial Designers’ Show House from September 10 – October 2 with a Preview Party on September 9.
Seventeen top local designers will renovate fifteen distinct spaces in an historic house on Portland’s picturesque Western Promenade. As a group, the designers have won national and local awards and accolades for their work, and their influences range from the classic and traditional to the modern and contemporary. The PSO Show House combines old and new in coastal design, showcasing the designers’ innovative talents and the classic beauty of Portland, Maine.
With its boulevard-esque tree-lined streets, the Western Promenade overlooks the Fore River as it meets Casco Bay, and on clear days the White Mountains are visible against the horizon. The house was built in 1920 atop a portion of the John Bundy Brown Estate which was destroyed in 1915. Architect John P. Thomas built this spacious stone and slate tudor complete with a servants’ wing and chauffeur’s apartment above the garage for the Hamlin family (related to Hannibal Hamlin, Abraham Lincoln’s Vice President).
SHOW HOUSE EVENTS
The Show House Committee is still adding events. For the most up-to-date listings, please visit http://www.portlandsymphony.org/content/support/special-events/2011-designers-show-house/.
Empty House Lobster Bake, Wednesday August 3, $40 per person.
Gala Preview Party, A Gatsby-themed Lawn Party on Friday, September 9, $100 per person. Guests at the Party will have private access to the Show House the night before it opens to the public and will be able to meet the designers. Costumes of the 20s invited. Sponsored by Wright-Ryan Construction.
(Admission to the following events is included with Show House ticket)
- Meet The Designers, Wednesday, September 14, from 6-8 P.M.
- Floral Design with James McBride and John McVeigh of Compositions, Sunday, September 11th at 2 P.M.
- Maureen Heffernan, Executive Director of Maine Botanical Gardens, Saturday, September 17 at 11 & 1 P.M.
- Dorothea Johnson Presents ‘Tabletop’, Sunday, September 18 at 2 P.M.
- Thomaston Place Auction Galleries, Appraisal of Antiques, Wednesday, September 21, 4 P.M. – 8 P.M. There will be a two item limit per ticket holder and a $5 charge per item at the event
- Mara Robinov-Moorhead of Flour Designs, a cooking demonstration,Thursday, September 22, 10:30 A.M. – 12 noon.
- PORTopera Performance, Saturday, September 24th, 1 P.M.
- David Richard of House of Lights presents a ‘Discussion on Lighting’ on Thursday, September 28th, 6 P.M. – 7 P.M.
Show House Boutique
The Boutique is always a popular feature of the Portland Symphony’s Show House events. Featuring products, artwork, and crafts from local artisans and vendors, it provides visitors to Show House an opportunity to purchase a unique gift or a special remembrance of their visit. Typically, some 6,000 people may drop in during the Show House run. The Boutique contributes a significant piece of the PSO’s overall profit for this major fundraiser.
Affordable art pieces, jewelry, tabletop items, fashion accessories, special soaps and lotions, gourmet foods, and unique ornaments, are among the products at the 2011 PSO Show House Boutique.