What is Hipster?
Hipster is a subculture of a man or woman in his/her 20′s or 30′s that thrives off of indie-rock, vintage furnishings, ironic/off-beat/untraditional art, skinny jeans, and liberal politics.
If you are hipster or want to be a hipster, how would you decorate your living spaces? There are some what you would call “hipster standards”, these items used to identify you as a hipster, try to obtain them and have them be displayed in a highly visible location in your apartment.
So without further ado, here are quick “6 must-haves” for your apartment:
1. Record Player w/ Record Collection
- 70s rock
- 80s rock/new wave
- 90s rap/hip hop
- Indie rock
- Obscure artists/records (like Johnny Thunders, Roky Erickson, or George Burns Sings)
2. Indie Rock/Old School Band Show Poster
- Black Sabbath
- Alice Cooper
- The Pixies
- John Coltrane
- New York Dolls
3. Vintage Furnishings
4. Bookcase Filled with “Classics”
- Naked Lunch (William Burroughs)
- On the Road (Jack Kerouac)
- Slaughter House 5 (Kurt Vonnegut)
- Me Talk Pretty One Day (David Sedaris)
- Women (Charles Bukowski)
- The Rum Diaries (Hunter S. Thompson)
5. Electric Guitar w/ Small Amplifier
Just have it in the corner of your living space even if you don’t know how to play the guitar.
- Deer head
- Wild Boar head
- Ram head
- Goat head
- Any stuffed bird
But not overdo it, as it will turn from “hipster haven” to “weird guy’s home”.
+ Visit Avalon for more information and start decorating.